Thursday, October 15, 2009

First Post

So I decided to stop being lazy and to start writing and sharing the lessons I've learned and the thought process that goes behind how I analysis, design and play video games. Additionally I've had a lifelong love of the martial arts which includes studying multiple styles which has naturally affected the course of my career so although this blog will be primarily focused on the video game industry don't be surprised to find MMA and martial arts technique also being discussed.

But first let me introduce myself by cheating and using the same summery description I use on http://www.linkedin.com/in/markacero

"I'm a gamer. From the first time I picked up a game controller, I've been hooked. Video games provided an outlet for my imagination and took me to new unexplored and interactive digital worlds. Every time I was given the choice of what I wanted to have as a present, it was a game cartridge. Every time I was given a choice to go somewhere for fun, it was always the arcade.

As a teenager I started playing in local tournaments for Street Fighter. Local tournaments turned into state, national and international competition. Tournaments also expanded to other fighting games. Although I'd like to say I was a national champion, it was never to be. I was good enough to place in multiple tournaments, but not good enough to win one. Regardless, my analytical skills as a player have served me well in learning the art and science of game design. Tournament playing, lead to contributing and editing fighting game strategy guides and eventually my dream job of a game designer.

Since then, I've been fortunate enough *knocks on wood* to ship every game that has been in full production. This includes deadline sensitive movie based titles on large teams, to working in smaller studios with limited staff and technology. I've been in the trenches and those experiences have honed my skills in both the design and business of game development.

I've focused on building my career and establishing myself as a well rounded designer that is self motivated, hard working and a team player with a "can do" attitude who is able to handle a wide variety of assignments and responsibilities.

I'm still just as passionate about creating quality games as I was about playing games as a kid. The imagination I used to take me away as a kid, is now used for creating visions of game worlds, while still sneaking in as much game time as life and other hobbies allow."

In a nutshell my hobbies and interest as a kid are the same ones I have today. I still constantly thirst to learn more, but now I have a means of sharing what I've learned. Earlier this year I participated in the 2009 Interfaces Conference hosted by International Academy of Design & Technology. The talk and workshop I ran there will be the early basis of my blogs.

I hope you enjoy and learn. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment